Protect Your Crop Against Counterfeit and Illegal Pesticides
DuPont is helping lead the industry-wide fight to prevent counterfeit and illegal pesticides from finding their way to growers’ fields.
We are committed to working with distributors, government, and law enforcement in Finland to help growers identify, purchase and use genuine DuPont products to realize better yields, better quality, better returns, and better lives.
Know The Difference
To combat counterfeit and illegal pesticides, it’s important to know what they are:
- Counterfeit products are often packaged to look like DuPont products. But the actual ingredients may be nothing like the genuine DuPont product.
- Illegal products may not look like DuPont products, but may make use of the DuPont name. Again, the ingredients may be nothing like those used in genuine DuPont products.
One thing counterfeit and illegal pesticides have in common: they may contain unknown, untested ingredients, which can make them less effective and also harmful to your crop. In some cases, they can also be hazardous – endangering the safety of you, your workers, and the environment.
Protecting More Than Crops
Counterfeit and illegal pesticides are often made in factories without proper processes and controls. That can mean there is no quality testing to ensure that chemical ingredients are effective and meet local and global regulatory guidelines for human health and safety, and reduced impact on the environment.
Unfortunately, this is a growing problem around the world. For example, in Europe, the law enforcement agency Europol estimated that as much as a quarter of pesticides sold in some European countries are counterfeit or illegal.
How DuPont is Helping
Through the DuPont Authentication Team, and with support by DuPont Crop Protection, we are committed to working with growers, distributors and law enforcement to stop counterfeit and illegal pesticides.
DuPont initiated the Global Anti-Counterfeit Program in 2003 to help protect our distribution channel, and growers, from counterfeit pesticides. Stopping faulty products from affecting the agricultural community is part of a larger, industry-wide effort involving global-to-local collaboration.
We’re focused on helping protect distribution channels and growers around the world, engaging with enforcement authorities through widespread communication, to help raise awareness of the issue.
These efforts also make use of advanced anti-counterfeit technology, such as the DuPont™ Traceology® product tracking system and Izon® 3-D hologram security labels, as well as a number of additional technologies.
Six Steps For Buying Genuine Crop Protection Products
Following a few simple rules can help you decrease your chances of buying counterfeit products.
- Buy only from authorized distributors or retailers. Never purchase from mobile sources (motorcycle, van, truck, etc).
- Request an invoice with the trademarked product (or product brand name) supplied to you listed clearly, and the quantity purchased. If your invoice names a different product to the one delivered, insist on a new invoice, or return the product to the retailer.
- Be wary of very low prices. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.
- Avoid partial or incomplete labels, which is a common sign of an illegal product. The label must be in your local language.
- If a product appears suspicious, contact your supplier or manufacturer’s representative. If it is a DuPont product, you can contact your DuPont representative, or the DuPont hotline. Do not use questionable products, and report them immediately to the authorities.
- For DuPont products, ask your supplier how to look for the parallax dots in the Izon® hologram security labels found on genuine DuPont crop protection products. Using your phone, you can also verify the call-in code on DuPont packaging.
Source: Europol, Growth in Counterfeit and Other Illegal Pesticides Across Europe, The Hague: November 2011.
Varmista kasvinsuojeluaineen turvallinen käyttö. Lue aina käyttöohjeet ja pakkausmerkinnät huolellisesti ennen käyttöä. Huomioi kaikki varoitusmerkit ja lausekkeet. Vain ammattikäyttöön.